This website is intended for healthcare professionals only.

Hospital Healthcare Europe
Hospital Pharmacy Europe     Newsletter    Login            

Woman dies from E coli infection

A 66-year-old disabled woman has died and two other people are seriously ill following an outbreak of the E coli O157 infection in the Paisley area. NHS officials said initial inquiries suggested the infection could have come from cold meat bought at Morrisons stores at Lonend and Falside Road.

They said seven people had been affected by this outbreak. Four of them are recovering at home. Morrisons said cold meats had been withdrawn from the two Paisley stores.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the people affected were all from the Paisley area. It said the woman died on Monday morning in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. Her 72-year-old husband is seriously ill in Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary.

Another family, comprising a woman aged 45, a man aged 46, and their 23-year-old daughter, are recovering at home.

The other cases are an 86-year-old woman, who is also recovering at home, and a 71-year-old woman is being treated at Royal Alexandra hospital. Morrisons issued a statement, saying it was deeply saddened to hear of the death and other cases.

The Outbreak Control Team (OCT) moved very swiftly last night to alert the public to take the precautionary action of not consuming the food identified

“We advise anyone who has bought sliced cold meat products locally from the delicatessen counters in these two stores not to consume them. No other products or Morrisons stores are involved in this investigation.” a Morrisons spokesperson has said.

E coli O157 can cause serious illness and is usually spread through contaminated food or drink.