It has emerged that a former trainee nurse who had to quit her job after developing an allergy to latex has won a six-figure compensation payout.
Tanya Dodd, 25, worked at Scarborough General Hospital in the UK until she found that she could suffer a potentially fatal anaphylactic shock if she came into contact with latex.
She has since left her post, changed her diet and replaced everyday items such as hairbrushes, pens, mobile phones and shoes.
Dave Prentis, general secretary of Unison, which helped secure the compensation, said: “Tanya Dodd had a promising career ahead of her as a nurse, but her life and career have been blighted by the negligence of her employers.
“No amount of money can adequately compensate Tanya for the damage to her health and the constant threat of serious illness hanging over her.
“Employers must realise that they must take the health and safety of their staff seriously. The dangers of developing latex allergy are well documented, and the solution is simple – provide latex free gloves. Scarborough General Hospital did not. Moreover, Tanya was threatened with disciplinary action if she was caught using the gloves.”
Copyright ï¿½ PA Business 2008