People have been told to stay away from a hospital in Norwich after an outbreak of infectious gastroenteritis hit the region.
Health chiefs at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital have told visitors they should not come to the hospital if they have the Norovirus, which causes diarrhoea and vomiting, in case they pass it on to patients.
They said that although no treatment is normally required for the infection, it can be easily passed to weak or vulnerable patients, and can be particularly dangerous to the elderly.
Visitors have also been warned that the Norovirus can be active in patients who have had it for up to three days after the symptoms have disappeared.
A hospital spokeswoman said: “It’s very important that people who have had the virus, or been in close contact with someone who has had it, take precautions to avoid spreading it.
“People should also avoid visiting places like hospitals and residential homes if they have had the bug or been in contact with it over the past three days.
“We also recommend, as a matter of routine, that all visitors should wash their hands with hot water and soap because alcohol gel is only effective against some bacteria.”
Copyright © PA Business 2007
Your comments: (Terms and conditions apply)
“I have a particular bug bear when wards allow their patients relatives to sit, lie or in some case lounge on the patients bed linen. Why can we not persuade them to use the washable chairs provided in the wards for the visitors use?” – Tanya Clarke-theatre Manager Shirley Oaks BMI Croydon